Second round for this crepes cake trial with this time an all-chocolate recipe!
If you haven’t seen the first recipe with strawberries and pastry cream,
I alternated layers of chocolate cream and crispy praline, you can easily imagine the result, a true delight!
A little tip, don’t have a heavy meal before this desert if you know what I mean :).
THE CREPES RECIPE
Ingredients for the crepes batter:
- 500 gr. of flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 liter of milk
- 3 tablespoon of oil
- Optional: 4 tablespoon of beer or rum
For the recipe, heat up the frying pan and make the crepes jump!
THE CHOCOLATE CREAM RECIPE
Ingredients for the chocolate cream:
(Depending of the desired height of the cake, you can increase the quantities)
- 2 gelatine sheets (approximatively 4 gr.)
- 200 gr. of milk chocolate
- 250 gr. of full-fat milk
- 90 gr. of 35% cream
- 30 gr. of sugar
- 125 gr. of egg yolk (approximatively 6-7 big eggs or 9-10 average ones)
The recipe for the chocolate cream:
- Place the gelatine sheet to soak in cold water.
- Prepare the egg yolk in a pan (= separate it from the egg white)
- Put the pieces of milk chocolate in a bowl.
- Mix the milk and cream and bring it to the boil.
- Pour the sugar on the egg yolk and stir it together with a whisk .
- When the cream and the milk are boiling, pour the chocolate in it and mix it at the same time.
- When the chocolate is completely melted, pour it on the egg yolk and place the pan on medium heat while carrying on mixing and bake the mixture until approximatively 85°C (185 F).
- As soon as you see bubbles coming up the surface, remove the pan from the heat and keep on stirring. The mixture needs to thicken (a bit like the ketchup texture).
- Once you reach this consistence, away from the heat, add the gelatine while thoroughly mixing.
- Place the cream in a bowl for at least one hour in the fridge, it needs to be firm.
- You could potentially beat it with an electric whisk when it has completely cool down and just before the assembly.
THE CRISPY PRALINE RECIPE
Ingredients for the crispy praline:
(Like for the chocolate cream, depending of the desired height of the cake, you can increase the quantities)
- 300 gr. of praline
- 140 gr. of milk chocolate
100 gr. of Gavottes (
- 60 gr. of butter
The recipe for the crispy praline:
- Add the chocolate and the butter together and make it melt.
- Add the praline and stir thoroughly.
- Crush the Gavottes and add them.
- Blend everything together.
- Don’t wait too long to spread the mixture because it will solidify when cooling down. If it’s the case, heat it slightly in a pan with a bit of milk, it will then be easier to spread on the crepes.
THE ASSEMBLY OF THE CREPES CAKE
For the assembly:
- Place a crepe on your platter.
- Spread a thin layer of chocolate cream.
- Add a crepe.
- Spread a thin layer of crispy praline.
- Add another crepe, spread a layer of cream and repeat it alternating the 2 mixtures until you use it all.
I added some raspberries to decorate and because this fruit goes perfectly with the chocolate.