Trial in the kitchen today with my very first crepes cake that I wanted to try for a long time.
It is not difficult to make and it will give you an uncommon and palatable desert.
After consideration, I went for a combination of strawberries and pastry cream that always works well and tastes pretty delicious.
It’s the season for strawberries, so let’s make the most of it!
The preparation is a bit long because you need to make the crepes (plan around 10-15 crepes for a medium size cake – like the one in the photos); then to prepare the pastry cream which needs to rest for one hour in the fridge, and to finish with the assembly of the cake which takes 15 minutes.
- THE CREPES RECIPE
Ingredients for the crepes batter:
- 500 gr. of flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 liter of milk
- 3 tablespoon of oil
- Optional: 4 tablespoon of beer or rum
For the recipe, you know the score, heat up the frying pan and make the crepes jump!
- THE PASTRY CREAM RECIPE
Ingredients for the pastry cream:
(Depending of the desired height of the cake, you can increase the quantities)
- 500 gr. of 2% milk
- 100 gr. of egg yolk
- 40 gr of corn starch
- 125 gr. of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or one vanilla pod
- 60 gr. of butter
The recipe for the pastry cream:
- Take the butter out to let it soften
- Mix the milk and the vanilla
- Place the mixture over the heat and bring it to the boil.
In another pan:
- Pour in the egg yolk, the sugar and the corn starch.
- Mix it well with a whisk
As soon as the milk and vanilla mixture is boiling:
- Take Off from the heat, pour about one third of it on the egg yolk/sugar/starch mixture and stir together.
- Then pour the rest of the milk and stir.
- Put back the pan on a medium-high heat (6-7) and keep on stirring with a whisk.
- Keep on stirring until the mixture thicken and make a cream that holds well.
- Away from the heat, add the butter lumps and stir until it is completely melted and incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture in a salad bowl, put some film wrap and place it in the fridge for at least an hour. The cream must be set and completely cold.
In the meantime, cut the strawberries in flakes of approximatively 2-3 millimetres.
THE ASSEMBLY OF THE CREPES CAKE
When the pastry cream has completely cooled down and it’s ready for the assembly, beat it with an electric mixer in order to give it volume and untighten it – it will then be easier to spread.
And now, it is assembly time:
- Place a crepe on your platter.
- Spread a thin layer of pastry cream.
- Place the strawberries on the pastry cream.
- Cover them with a thin layer of pastry cream.
- Put another crepe and repeat all the steps until reaching the desired heigh for the cake or running out of cream.
If you like it, you can even add whipped cream on the top of your cake 😉
Did you like it? Find very soon another recipe of crepes cake even yummier.
Two hints to make your mouth water: chocolat and praline.